I recently had several clients ask about the condition of windows. Here is some information to share with you! New windows are an expensive investment, easily costing $300 to $1,000 per window, and most home buyers don’t factor in window costs when searching for a new home. However, if you’re aware of what to look for when touring a home, you can spot windows that may need repair or replacement. Here are things to pay attention to:
1. Windows that are difficult to open and close. You might not be able to test every window in the house, but try some out. If you are unsure, you can ask permission.
2. Damage to window frames. Look for signs of water damage, rotted wood, or recently made repairs, both inside and outside.
3. Missing hardware. Most hardware can be replaced, including cranks for casement windows, but if the hardware is missing, it could be a sign that the window does not work properly.
4. Foggy double-pane windows. Condensation between the panes of glass means the seal has been broken and the energy efficiency of the window has been compromised.
5. Single-pane windows. This is a sign that the windows are fairly old and not very energy efficient. New double-pane windows are much more energy efficient.
Consider future maintenance when surveying the windows. Wood windows need to be scraped and painted every few years. If new windows are an option, there are number of low-maintenance models available, including vinyl, fiberglass, and composite, as well as wood windows where the wood is exposed inside but covered with vinyl or aluminum outside to protect it from the elements.
If you get to the stage of the buying process where you visit the property with a home inspector, point out any concerns you have.
While you may not have planned to spend money for window fixes as a new homeowner, you’ll benefit in the long run by having a more energy-efficient home.
Andrea Forte (Realtor) of The Real Estate MarketPlace
For our Purchasing Clients: we make sure you have access to EVERY home (not just those we list, or the three or four that we think you might like); and we will never pressure you.
For our Selling Clients: we market the heck out of your home; we give you updates on what we've done to sell your property every week along with feedback and activity on the home; we can also lease your property should it fail to sell--seamlessly. Finally, if you're ever unhappy with us, or your circumstances change, you can cancel our agreement.
Lastly, if you're interested in our Property Management services, visit www.KilleenPropertyManagement.com.
The holiday season is here! No matter if you celebrate Christmas
"Y'all were very personable. You made me feel like family. You worked around my schedule to show me houses until we found the perfect one for me. You did great, keep it up! I was impressed at how easy the process was. Y'all kept me informed the entire time and I appreciated that. Y'all did such a great job...I forgive the half of y'all that are Aggie fans! When you have a Realtor that takes care of you like family, why would you choose to work with anyone else?"